Chris Spangle and Chris Gault welcome Johnny Rocket and Raylene Lightheart of the Blast Off podcast (formerly the Johnny Rocket Launchpad) to discuss the deplatformming of Alex Jones, re-inventing a podcast, and how to fall in love with libertarianism. We also discuss the new NYC Uber ban. Check out their show at thelaunchpadmedia.com/blastoff/. Special Guest: Johnny Rocket.
Chris Spangle and Harry Price share their controversial opinion on the mass deletion of InfoWars and Alex Jones from social media, Democrats circulate a plan to regulate the internet and social companies, we ask why Austin Peterson lost, and Brian Nichols calls in to discuss the libertarian position on the Death Penalty. Become a WAL Patron to hear our bonus episode on Chris’s attendance of Podcast Movement.
- [5:40 - Alex Jones Deplatformed]
- [52:30 - Democrats Release Plan to Regulate the Internet]
- [01:15:40 - Austin Petersen Loses in Missouri]
- [01:21:08 - Path to Libertarianism - The Death Penalty with Brian Nichols]
Click the link to automatically skip to the segment.
Alex Jones and InfoWars
- It it is not about regulating social companies. It is about avoiding regulation. – www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103809958724244
- Prohibition backfires – www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103809918659534
- Vote with your dollars – www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103807276379684
- This was cartel behavior. www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103806846171824
- Why boycott companies like Target over guns, but not Facebook over free speech? – www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103806756341844
- Who will determine what is acceptable political speech now? Silicon valley. That ought to make libertarians nervous. They censored based on violence, harassment, sexual content, but not political speech. This is a change.- www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103806443833114
- Those that would erode free speech always begin with the ugliest speech. – www.facebook.com/chris.spangle/posts/10103806247371824
- These companies claim to be fair and equal, but they are not.
- If private business is propped up by government subsidies, should they be regulated like public institutions?
- Creighton Harrington – Thought experiment: we wake up tomorrow and the world is stateless utopia. How many libertarians will have anything left to believe in?
- Alex Jones and Apps
- Removed from domains?
- Implicit contracts
- Facebook Says It Is Deleting Accounts at the Direction of the U.S. and Israeli Governments – static.theintercept.com/amp/facebook-says-it-is-deleting-accounts-at-the-direction-of-the-u-s-and-israeli-governments.html?twitterimpression=true
- The social media crackdown is hitting our people – mailchi.mp/tomwoods/1070syzgnq-318529?e=b79ebbc08a
- Banning Alex Jones Isn’t About Free Speech—It’s About the Incoherence of ‘Hate Speech’ – reason.com/blog/2018/08/07/alex-jones-facebook-ban-hate-speech
- Apple and Google haven’t banned Infowars apps, and their downloads are booming – www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17660564/apple-google-infowars-app-ban-downloads
- Apple Removes Alex Jones and Infowars Podcasts From iTunes – www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/apple-removes-alex-jones-and-infowars-podcasts-from-itunesus5b67c30de4b0b15abaa49846
- The Crackdown Continues: Twitter Suspends Libertarian Accounts, Including Ron Paul Institute Director – www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-07/crackdown-continues-twitter-suspends-libertarian-accounts-including-ron-paul
- Google, Tesla, Apple, Facebook rake in massive subsidies: report – www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/03/google-tesla-apple-facebook-rake-in-massive-subsidies-report/
- Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act – www.eff.org/issues/cda230
Democrats Roll Out Plans to Regulate the Internet
- Senate Democrats Are Circulating Plans for Government Takeover of the Internet – reason.com/blog/2018/07/31/democrats-tech-policy-plans-leaked
- Sen. Chris Murphy calls for more Silicon Valley censorship: ‘Survival of our democracy depends on it’ – www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/07/sen-chris-murphy-calls-for-more-silicon-valley-censorship-survival-our-democracy-depends-on-it.html
- The EU is About to Destroy The Internet – youtu.be/fvXOfq3AB8s
Austin Peterson Loses Election
- How to win an election – www.facebook.com/WeAreLibertarians/posts/2054323757932104
- Austin Petersen Trounced in Missouri GOP Primary Election for U.S. Senate – reason.com/blog/2018/08/07/austin-petersen-trounced-in-missouri-gop
Libertarian Opinion on the Death Penalty
- Brian Nichols Show 28: Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty with Hannah Cox – briannichols.fireside.fm/34
- The Libertarian Case Against the Death Penalty – www.libertarianism.org/columns/libertarian-case-against-death-penalty
- If You Hate Big Government, You Should Oppose the Death Penalty – fee.org/articles/if-you-hate-big-government-you-should-oppose-the-death-penalty/
- Pope declares death penalty inadmissible, changing Church’s stance – www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/europe/pope-death-penalty-intl/index.html
- Former Texas Prosecutor Now Opposes Death Penalty as New Study is Released on Wrongful Convictions – deathpenaltyinfo.org/new-voices-former-texas-prosecutor-now-opposes-death-penalty-new-study-released-wrongful-convictions
- Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row – deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row
- Free Thoughts on The Death Penalty: www.libertarianism.org/media/free-thoughts-podcast/death-penalty
- In Louisiana prosecutor offices, a toxic culture of death and invincibility – www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/04/06/in-louisiana-prosecutor-offices-a-toxic-culture-of-death-and-invincibility/?noredirect=on&utmterm=.720bf6b1c28a
- Florida ACLU says state has ‘the most errors and exonerations from death row’ – www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/jun/02/aclu-florida/florida-aclu-says-state-has-most-errors-and-exoner/**_
In the second episode of our series “The Swamp, Explained”, Chris Spangle and Rob Quartel go in depth on how Washington works.
Rob gives us a view of Russian meddling and possible Trump collusion from the swamp. Rob explains the Jones Act.
- GOP lawmaker pressures Puerto Rico to end push for shipping rules exemption – www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-lawmaker-pressures-puerto-rico-to-end-push-for-shipping-rules-exemption
- The Jones Act: A Burden America Can No Longer Bear – object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa845.pdf
- The Jones Act In Perspective – object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/articles/brannon-grassroots-hawaii.pdf
- America’s Welfare Queen Fleet – object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/regulation/1991/7/v14n3-5.pdf
Rob has lived and worked in Washington DC for 40 years. He worked for the EPA and the Ford and H.W. Bush campaigns. Check out his resume here: www.linkedin.com/in/rob-quartel-5291553/
Have questions for Rob? Email us – email@example.com
Chris Spangle and Mark Warner discuss homelessness in America. Warner worked for a homeless shelter for nearly a decade before going into politics. They discuss why someone becomes homeless and how local communities can manage populations without government intervention.
- Econtalk: Erica Sandberg on Homelessness and Downtown Streets Team – www.acast.com/econtalk/erica-sandberg-on-homelessness-and-downtown-streets-team
- Wheeler Mission Ministries – wheelermission.org/
- Thomas Sowell on the Housing Boom and Bust – youtu.be/5GoAGuTIbVY
What happens when society makes a person a pariah? Our podcast Creating Miah is a conversation between Chris Spangle and Miah Akston as she transitions from male to female. More than that, it is a process of self-discovery and a hard look at social norms in our society. In this episode, originally recorded for Creating Miah in Series Two, Episode Two, Miah contemplates suicide. soundcloud.com/wearelibertarians/sets/creating-miah-a-transgender-podcast
Chris Spangle and Greg Lenz sit down to talk to Claude “Woody” Wood and Linda Martel of Indianapolis, IN about the death of Woody’s daughter Rachel Wood while an inmate in Indiana prisons. It is is a difficult story that shows us the tragic results of an inhumane system. Be sure to read the coverage of this story in the South Bend Tribune by Virginia Black. This was originally episode 91 of We Are Libertarians.
Chris Spangle, Tad Western, and Matt Wittleif discuss the indictment of 12 Russian hackers, what it means for the collusion investigation, and we break down Trump’s press conference with Putin.
- From spy to president: The rise of Vladimir Putin – youtu.be/lxMWSmKieuc
- Chris Wallace interviews Russian President Vladimir Putin – youtu.be/rHY8yG4mVzs
- Watch Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin’s full press conference – youtu.be/cwxqOoIyWm0
- Trump claims he misspoke about Russia, immediately contradicts himself – youtu.be/SsjrEu4Vrw0
- Trump Talks to Tucker Carlson – rawaudio.fireside.fm/121
- Putin Talks to Chris Wallace – rawaudio.fireside.fm/120
- Putin’s Big Tell? – www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/putins-big-tell/565460/
- Russian Speakers Explain What Putin Actually Said About Trump – www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/putin-trump-election-translation/565481/
- The Oil Context of the Trump-Putin Meeting – www.cfr.org/blog/oil-context-trump-putin-meeting
- Conservative Lawmakers Say Trump’s Actions, Not Words, Key in Dealings With Putin – www.dailysignal.com/2018/07/17/conservative-lawmakers-say-trumps-actions-not-words-key-in-dealings-with-putin/
- Robert Mueller indicts twelve Russians – www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2018/07/14/robert-mueller-indicts-twelve-russians
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente – news.antiwar.com/2018/07/17/lawmakers-media-look-to-undermine-us-russia-detente/
- Trump is right about who’s to blame for bad relations with Russia – www.atimes.com/article/trump-is-right-about-whos-to-blame-for-bad-relations-with-russia/
- Indictment of 12 Russians: Under the Shiny Wrapping, a Political Act – www.truthdig.com/articles/indictment-of-12-russians-under-the-shiny-wrapping-a-political-act/
- Russia Is No Longer Targeting the U.S., Trump Says, Contradicting His Own Intelligence Director – www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/us/politics/trump-putin-higher-intelligence.html
- Maria Butina Loved Guns, Trump and Russia. It Was a Cover, Prosecutors Say. – www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/us/maria-butina-russian-agent-charges.html
- Indictment – www.documentcloud.org/documents/4609469-Indictment.html
- Here’s What Trump And NATO Should Do About Russia’s Aggressions – thefederalist.com/2018/07/18/heres-trump-nato-russias-string-aggressions/
- Have Mueller and Rosenstein Finally Gone Too Far? – original.antiwar.com/thomas-knapp/2018/07/17/have-mueller-and-rosenstein-finally-gone-too-far/
- What We Learned About Russian and U.S. Spycraft From Mueller’s Indictment of Hackers – theintercept.com/2018/07/18/mueller-indictment-russian-hackers/
- A Spirited, Substantive Debate on the Trump-Putin Summit, Russia, and U.S. Politics – theintercept.com/2018/07/16/a-spirited-substantive-debate-on-the-trumpputin-summit-russia-and-us-politics/
- Trump goes right back to siding with Putin over his intelligence community, it seems – www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/18/trump-goes-right-back-to-siding-with-putin-over-his-intelligence-community-it-seems/
- Just Like Obama, Trump’s Russia Policy Speaks Louder Than His Words – thefederalist.com/2018/07/18/just-like-obama-trumps-russia-policy-speaks-louder-words/
- Trump Is Right: Mueller’s Latest Indictment Suggests He’s Conducting A Witch Hunt – thefederalist.com/2018/07/16/trump-right-muellers-latest-indictment-proves-hes-conducting-witch-hunt/
- Trump’s Unrequited Love for Vladimir Putin – foreignpolicy.com/2018/07/17/trumps-treason-by-father-complex/#
- The Likeliest Explanation for Trump’s Helsinki Fiasco – www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/trump-putin-helsinki-fiasco-character-not-collusion-best-explanation/
- The DOJ Charges a Russian with Attempting to Infiltrate the NRA: Four Key Takeaways – www.nationalreview.com/corner/doj-charges-russian-with-attempting-to-infiltrate-nra-mariia-butina/
- No, the President Did Not Need to Meet with Putin – www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/trump-putin-meetings-unnecessary/
- Against Moral Equivalence – www.nationalreview.com/corner/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-against-moral-equivalence/
- Mueller’s Politicized Indictment of Twelve Russian Intelligence Officers – www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/muellers-latest-indictments-russians-politicized-pointless/
- Trump’s Disgraceful Press Conference in Helsinki – www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-press-conference-disgrace/
- How Russian hackers stole information from Democrats, in 3 simple diagrams – www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/16/17575940/russian-election-hack-democrats-trump-putin-diagram
- Trump’s rambling attacks on Mueller and Democrats at the Putin presser, annotated – www.vox.com/2018/7/16/17576586/trump-putin-mueller-dnc-server-pakistani
- The hacked emails at the center of Mueller’s Russia investigation, explained – www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/2/17164266/trump-russia-mueller-email-hackings-dnc-clinton
Chris Spangle, Harry Price, and Paul Copeland recap Spangle’s first time shooting a gun and what perceptions changed towards firearms. We also examine the gotcha journalism of Sacha Baron Cohen.
Chris Spangle and Norman Horn of the Libertarian Christian Institute discuss if a Christian can be a libertarian, and how much should one’s religious beliefs inform their politics?
Chris Spangle, Harry Price, Rhinehold, and Jason Doolittle discuss the new feuds between open-border and closed-border libertarians. The guys then teach Spangle about the basics of firing a gun.